Most changes lately have been behind the scenes, but at least the site should be easier to find!
One thing I added this week was a mobile plugin. WPtouch took a bit more setup than I would have expected, but it looks pretty good. Check out the site on your phone or other mobile device and you’ll see. One thing I was on the fence about was whether to allow zooming in and out. I decided to turn that off for now, but it shouldn’t be necessary since the WPtouch theme scales to the size of your screen automatically. If anyone has complaints about this, please make them known and I’ll change it.
My backend WordPress installation was also upgraded to 4.6, which apparently broke ImageInject a little bit. Now, instead of clicking an image to set it as my featured image, I have to manually set a featured image. ImageInject gets as far as adding the image to my media library, at least. Just a minor annoyance. I hope it’s fixed soon, though.
I continue to examine related post widgets, including those that might bring content from other sites. All of them seem pretty lousy. Ideally, I’d have my posts here networked with other sites’ content, but there just doesn’t seem to be anything that does that reasonably. Available plugins show featured content others have paid to have featured, but it won’t do anything for me except lead clicks away from this blog. I obviously have no problem embedding links where I think they’re relevant, I just don’t want that happening with links I have no control over.
In less happy news, traffic is down. I think part of it is that the Stellaris post is getting much less traffic than before. August is on track to be about on par with March, which is not great. Traffic isn’t everything, of course. Hopefully it will rebound.
One thing I’ve been working on is getting all of my sites set up with SSL encryption. They’re all hosted on the same IP, but it is my understanding that it’s possible now to have several sites SSL-enabled on a single IP. Maybe I’ll have that done in the next week or so.
I’m also aware that I still need to do the recategorization. There’s a chance I’ll get to that in the next few weeks, but probably not before the middle of September. We’ll see.
I’ve been tweaking some odds and ends on the backend. We’ll see if they speed things up or offer an improved experience or anything like that.
Not much else to say except that I hope you all have a good week!