Welcome to October! Bring it on, autumn! And now, some links.
* [Sympathy for the Donald](http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/28/opinion/sympathy-for-the-donald.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur) -- What if Trump wrote an op-ed column the way he debated this week? * [Why Donald Trump should not be President](http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/26/opinion/why-donald-trump-should-not-be-president.html?smid=tw-share&_r=2) -- The New York _Times'_ editorial board weighs in with their endorsement. * [Woman interrupted 25 times when sharing thoughts on Presidential debate](http://reductress.com/post/woman-interrupted-25-times-when-sharing-thoughts-on-presidential-debate/) -- Satire, but totally appropriate here. (Trump interrupted Clinton 51 times, by the way.) * [The first debate featured an unprepared man shouting over a highly prepared woman](http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/9/26/13067798/trump-clinton-first-debate) -- Pretty much. * [White riot](http://www.vox.com/2016/9/19/12933072/far-right-white-riot-trump-brexit) -- An exploration of how racism and xenophobia have fueled right-wing populist movements throughout the Western world. * [Donald Trump's history of corruption: a comprehensive review](http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/9/28/12904136/donald-trump-corrupt) -- Just think, this man could be our President! * [Last night's debate, or the mansplaining Olympics](https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2016/09/27/last-nights-debate-or-the-mansplaining-olympics/?utm_term=.73191008f78d) -- An amusing synopsis of the debate. * [Donald Trump's strange speaking style, as explained by linguists](http://www.vox.com/2016/8/18/12423688/donald-trump-speech-style-explained-by-linguists) -- Interesting analysis that makes a lot of sense. * [Trump angry at allies conceding he lost debate](http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/politics/donald-trump-debate-reaction/index.html) -- I don't think he'll do any better at the next one if he's already convinced he won the first one. * [Stop pretending you don't know why people hate Hillary Clinton](http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larry-womack/stop-pretending-you-dont-_b_12191766.html?) -- It's the misogyny, stupid. No amount of think pieces will change that.
* [US prisoners are going on strike to protest a massive forced labor system](http://qz.com/777415/an-unprecedented-prison-strike-hopes-to-change-the-fate-of-the-900000-americans-trapped-in-an-exploitative-labor-system/) -- So this is already mostly over, as I understand it, but it largely escaped mainstream notice. * [Rod Liddle said, "do the math." So I did.](https://polarizingthevacuum.wordpress.com/2016/09/08/rod-liddle-said-do-the-math-so-i-did/) -- A statistician takes a look at statistics on police violence. * [Human zoos: Subconscious global color lines](https://dreamwaterchildren.net/2016/09/25/human-zoos-subconscious-global-color-lines/) -- In case you forgot these existed. * [On the term "non-compliant"](http://angrygoatgirl.tumblr.com/post/150689261061/on-the-term-non-compliant) -- An examination of a term used to describe patients with chronic illnesses who, for one reason or another, are not receiving proper treatment. * ['The line is crossed, and it's crossed daily': the struggles of female bartenders](https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/the-line-is-crossed-and-its-crossed-daily-the-struggles-of-female-bartenders/2016/09/24/4cb2c1a6-7f4f-11e6-8d0c-fb6c00c90481_story.html?hpid=hp_regional-hp-cards_rhp-card-food%3Ahomepage%2Fcard) -- Not as easy job for women in the US to get into--or keep--not least because of the sexist behavior of patrons. * [Identity & narrative: a response to Lionel Shriver](https://fozmeadows.wordpress.com/2016/09/13/identity-narrative-a-response-to-lionel-shriver/) -- A good companion piece to [what I wrote about Shriver](http://www.resilientconstructs.com/2016/09/21/cultural-appropriation-fiction-writing/). * [How the New Atheist movement blew a big opportunity to bring acceptance to non-believers](http://www.alternet.org/belief/how-new-atheist-movement-blew-big-opportunity-bring-acceptance-non-believers) -- Nice article by a friend of mine on the failure of New Atheism.
* [Global ambient air pollution](http://maps.who.int/airpollution/) -- An interactive map showing air pollution data all over the world. Pretty fascinating.
* [On the trail of African migrant smugglers](http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/migrant-smuggling-business-means-big-money-in-libya-a-1113654.html) -- An in-depth look at how refugees are smuggled into Europe across the Mediterranean.
* [Smart home gear guide](http://smarthomegearguide.com/) -- A website that does a nice job of rounding up various smart home devices.